Monday, January 9, 2012

Tool # 9 and now what? What Should I use and how?

I believe for some time now, some of us have seen technology as an isolated tool. Simply used  for an activity from time to time and limited to TV, CD players and maybe to project a powerpoint presentation. Today, we can really tie technology to the objective by having students use or apply one of these so many tools to prove their knowledge and understanding of a topic. At the same time, we are also preparing them in the use of these tools that obviously will help them to be successful in their future careers.
While working in centers we are making students accountable, and for me, this means that we are teaching them to be responsible for their own learning.
Sadly, none of the interactive websites listed there, can be use for my class. The only one that has a couple of activities for Spanish is Thinkfinity, but I would not be able to use them with my Spanish II students.  In the SBISD Interactive database, Foreign Languages is not even listed in the choices in the search bar. So, I think the FL teachers will need to start collaborating to start our own database. I have used a couple of places where you have interactive activities such as http://www.spanish4teachers.org/  and   http://www.quia.com/ where you can find games created by other teachers or create your own if you subscribe.
Regarding apps for IPods and IPads, I have found iflash which allows you to create flashcards, Foto slideLite to create slide shows. These two apps can also be downloaded to Iphones. Recently, I  heard  about hello hello Spanish which some teachers in other states are using in the classroom, but I have not check that out yet.
At this time, I need to do a little more research about how these devices and tools are being used by other FL teachers around the world and take some ideas from there. If some of you have ideas, please, I encourage you one more time to share them. I know for sure that as we start using these devices and become experts, ideas will begin to flow.

1 comment:

  1. That's a great idea - you could start a FL share folder (Librarians have one - we stash everything there!) and start to amass a pretty snappy cache of lessons. I think you are off to a great start and am confident that you will put the time in to research these tools. Your students are so LUCKY to have you!!!!

    ReplyDelete